Current:Home > MyFastexy Exchange|Court says 2 of 4 men charged in Moscow attack admit guilt as suspects show signs of beating -Ascend Wealth Education
Fastexy Exchange|Court says 2 of 4 men charged in Moscow attack admit guilt as suspects show signs of beating
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 21:15:26
Four men accused of staging the Russia concert hall attack that killed more than 130 people appeared before a Moscow court Sunday showing signs of severe beatings as they faced formal terrorism charges. One appeared to be Fastexy Exchangebarely conscious during the hearing.
A court statement said two of the suspects accepted their guilt in the assault after being charged in the preliminary hearing, though the men's condition raised questions about whether they were speaking freely. There had been earlier conflicting reports in Russian media outlets that said three or all four men admitted culpability.
Moscow's Basmanny District Court formally charged Dalerdzhon Mirzoyev, 32; Saidakrami Rachabalizoda, 30; Shamsidin Fariduni, 25; and Mukhammadsobir Faizov, 19, with committing a group terrorist attack resulting in the death of others. The offense carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.
The court ordered that the men, all of whom are citizens of Tajikistan, be held in pre-trial custody until May 22.
Russian media had reported that the men were tortured during interrogation by the security services, and Mirzoyev, Rachabalizoda and Fariduni showed signs of heavy bruising, including swollen faces,
Rachabalizoda also had a heavily bandaged ear. Russian media said Saturday that one of the suspects had his ear cut off during interrogation. The Associated Press couldn't verify the report or the videos purporting to show this.
The fourth suspect, Faizov, was brought to court from a hospital in a wheelchair and sat with his eyes closed throughout the proceedings. He was attended by medics while in court, where he wore a hospital gown and trousers and was seen with multiple cuts.
Court officials said Mirzoyev and Rachabalizoda admitted guilt for the attack after being charged.
The hearing came as Russia observed a national day of mourning for the attack Friday on the suburban Crocus City Hall concert venue that killed at least 137 people.
The attack, which has been claimed by an affiliate of the Islamic State group, is the deadliest on Russian soil in years.
Russian authorities arrested the four suspected attackers Saturday, with seven more people detained on suspicion of involvement in the attack, Russian President Vladimir Putin said in an address to the nation Saturday night. He claimed they were captured while fleeing to Ukraine, something that Kyiv firmly denied.
Events at cultural institutions were canceled Sunday, flags were lowered to half staff and television entertainment and advertising were suspended, according to state news agency RIA Novosti. A steady stream of people added to a makeshift memorial near the burned-out concert hall, creating a huge mound of flowers.
"People came to a concert, some people came to relax with their families, and any one of us could have been in that situation. And I want to express my condolences to all the families that were affected here and I want to pay tribute to these people," Andrey Kondakov, one of the mourners who came to lay flowers at the memorial, told AP.
"It is a tragedy that has affected our entire country," kindergarten employee Marina Korshunova said. "It just doesn't even make sense that small children were affected by this event." Three children were among the dead.
Rescuers continued to search the damaged building and the death toll rose as more bodies were found as family and friends of some of those still missing waiting for news. Moscow's Department of Health said Sunday it had begun identifying the bodies of those killed via DNA testing, saying the process would take at least two weeks.
Igor Pogadaev was desperately seeking any details about his wife, Yana Pogadaeva, who went to the attack concert. The last he heard from her was when she sent him two photos from the Crocus City Hall music venue.
After Pogadaev saw the reports of gunmen opening fire on concertgoers, he rushed to the site, but couldn't find her in the numerous ambulances or among the hundreds of people who had made their way out of the venue.
"I went around, searched, I asked everyone, I showed photographs. No one saw anything, no one could say anything," Pogadaev told AP in a video message.
He watched flames bursting out of the building as he made frantic calls to a hotline for relatives of the victims, but received no information.
As the death toll mounted Saturday, Pogodaev scoured hospitals in the Russian capital and the Moscow region, looking for information on newly admitted patients.
His wife wasn't among the 182 reported injured, nor on the list of 60 victims authorities had already identified, he said.
The Moscow Region's Emergency Situations Ministry posted a video Sunday showing equipment dismantling the damaged music venue to give rescuers access.
Putin has called the attack "a bloody, barbaric terrorist act" and said Russian authorities captured the four suspects as they were trying to escape to Ukraine through a "window" prepared for them on the Ukrainian side of the border.
Russian media broadcast videos that apparently showed the detention and interrogation of the suspects, including one who told the cameras he was approached by an unidentified assistant to an Islamic preacher via a messaging app and paid to take part in the raid.
Putin didn't mention IS in his speech to the nation, and Kyiv accused him and other Russian politicians of falsely linking Ukraine to the assault to stoke fervor for Russia's fight in Ukraine, which recently entered its third year.
U.S. intelligence officials said they had confirmed the IS affiliate's claim.
"ISIS bears sole responsibility for this attack. There was no Ukrainian involvement whatsoever," National Security Council spokeswoman Adrienne Watson said in a statement.
The U.S. shared information with Russia in early March about a planned terrorist attack in Moscow, and issued a public warning to Americans in Russia, Watson said.
The raid was a major embarrassment for Putin and happened just days after he cemented his grip on the country for another six years in a vote that followed the harshest crackdown on dissent since the Soviet times.
Some commentators on Russian social media questioned how authorities, who have relentlessly suppressed any opposition activities and muzzled independent media, failed to prevent the attack despite the U.S. warnings.
IS, which fought against Russia during its intervention in the Syrian civil war, has long targeted Russia. In a statement posted by the group's Aamaq news agency, the IS Afghanistan affiliate said that it had attacked a large gathering of "Christians" in Krasnogorsk.
The group issued a new statement Saturday on Aamaq, saying the attack was carried out by four men who used automatic rifles, a pistol, knives and firebombs. It said the assailants fired at the crowd and used knives to kill some concertgoers, casting the raid as part of the Islamic State group's ongoing war with countries that it says are fighting against Islam.
In October 2015, a bomb planted by IS downed a Russian passenger plane over Sinai, killing all 224 people on board, most of them Russian vacationers returning from Egypt.
The group, which operates mainly in Syria and Iraq but also in Afghanistan and Africa, also has claimed responsibility for several attacks in Russia's volatile Caucasus and other regions in past years. It recruited fighters from Russia and other parts of the former Soviet Union.
- In:
- ISIS
- Russia
- Vladimir Putin
veryGood! (3689)
Related
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Thousands celebrate life of former fire chief killed at Trump rally, private funeral set for Friday
- 2024 Kennedy Center honorees include Grateful Dead and Bonnie Raitt, among others
- University of Florida president Ben Sasse is resigning after his wife was diagnosed with epilepsy
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- For Catholic pilgrims, all roads lead to Indy for an old-style devotion in modern stadium setting
- Accused of biting police official, NYC Council member says police were the aggressors
- New Orleans Saints tackle Ryan Ramczyk will miss 2024 season
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Republicans emerge from their convention thrilled with Trump and talking about a blowout victory
Ranking
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Taylor Swift sings 'Karma is the guy on the Chiefs' to Travis Kelce for 13th time
- FACT FOCUS: Heritage Foundation leader wrong to say most political violence is committed by the left
- Will Smith and Johnny Depp Seen on Yacht Trip Together
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- GOP convention sets the stage for the Democratic convention in Chicago, activists and police say
- Appeals courts are still blocking Biden’s efforts to expand LGBTQ+ protections under Title IX
- JD Vance's mother had emotional reaction when he celebrated her 10 years of sobriety during speech
Recommendation
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
Nebraska governor seeks shift to sales taxes to ease high property taxes. Not everyone is on board
Massachusetts Senate approved bill intended to strengthen health care system
Alabama birthing units are closing to save money and get funding. Some say babies are at risk
Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
How many points did Bronny James score tonight? Lakers Summer League box score
Accused of biting police official, NYC Council member says police were the aggressors
Travis Barker's Daughter Alabama Barker, 18, Admits She's Taking Weight-Loss Medication